Human golden retriever to be given ice cream

Human golden retriever to be given ice cream

Sure, it’s a surgery usually associated with elementary school, but for UFC lightweight Sage Northcutt, it could be a huge help in his fighting career.

And he’ll also get to eat a bunch of ice cream, so there’s that, too.

Northcutt (8-2 MMA, 3-2 UFC), who just recently celebrated his 21st birthday, today took to social media to reveal that he was undergoing a recently scheduled tonsillectomy.

This past December, Northcutt was submitted by Mickey Gall in a welterweight contest. “Super” Sage had hoped to try and rebound with a win in his native Texas at UFC 211 next month in Dallas but will have to reschedule following today’s procedure.

Northcutt has battled strep throat multiple times in his octagon run. UFC President Dana White famously admitted he “blew it” allowing the prospect to compete against Bryan Barbarena while ill at UFC on FOX 18 in January 2016, when Northcutt was handed his first professional defeat.

The UFC fighter’s father, Mark Northcutt, recently told MMA Fighting his son developed another case of strep throat while training with UFC welterweight champion Tyron Woodley ahead of UFC 209, necessitating today’s procedure.

Patients are usually directed to consume soft foods for one-to-two weeks following a tonsillectomy. In a potential blow to apples everywhere, the American Academy of Otolaryngology–Head and Neck Surgery also recommends drinking “plenty of fluids,” including “water or apple juice.”

For more on the UFC’s upcoming schedule, check out the UFC Rumors section of the site.

After 51 failed surgeries in four European countries and the United States, this Dutch boy can finally see again … thanks to a doctor in Saudi Arabia.

After 51 failed surgeries in four European countries and the United States, this Dutch boy can finally see again … thanks to a doctor in Saudi Arabia.

Directly following the surgery, Dani’s father saw no improvement. His son was still blind. The doctor in Riyadh told him to be patient. Then, suddenly, one day he saw Dani chasing and kicking a ball! His son could finally see.

Man journeys from living under a bridge to Boston Marathon

Man journeys from living under a bridge to Boston Marathon

Whether solo, jogging in a crowd, or lost in the sensation of music thumping through his headphones, Danny Dwyer sees his thorny past, thankful present and unwritten future blend to form the perfect sanctuary.

This is how he trains for this year’s Boston Marathon.

Each step is one away from battles with drug addiction that began when he was 8 years old. It’s a struggle that’s swallowed up a coveted job with the Boston Police Department and an engagement. For four years, he lived under a bridge. Now, he’s rededicated his life to helping others who struggle with substance abuse.

“I can give you many low points. That’s the thing about addiction,” Dwyer says. “If you don’t do something about it, the low point you’ve reached — it’ll go lower.”

Born in Dorchester, Massachusetts, Dwyer was the youngest of three children. His sister, Barbara, was seven years older and his brother, Billy, was five years older.

His parents divorced when he was about 6, and his mother, Frances, moved with Danny and Billy to Los Angeles.

While she worked several jobs over next two years, her sons became latchkey kids. They often hung out with older kids near their home in a poorer area of town. Those kids introduced him to marijuana.

“It’s pretty wild when you think about it,” Dwyer said. “To be out until 1 o’clock in the morning, skateboarding on a school night, smoking marijuana. To then being in second grade the next day practicing penmanship.”

Four years later they returned to Massachusetts, but alcohol, marijuana and cocaine stayed part of Dwyer’s life.

His mother sent him to live with his father, William, and he attended an all-boys Catholic high school where he was exposed to people working toward college.

Though he was still smoking pot and drinking, he entered the Air Force National Guard out of high school.

He struggled on and off for a few years, but had completely put everything down by 1988 when he went active-duty Army. It offered him a combat medic position and he was assigned to the prestigious 10th Mountain Division in Ft. Drum, New York.

No one suspected anything about his past drug use.

“They ask you. You say no,” Dwyer said. “You do what you have to do.”

Out of the Army and still sober in 1996, he spent three years working for the Suffolk County Sheriff’s Department before being called by the Boston Police Academy.

During a training session he partially tore his ACL and was put on painkillers. Still, he graduated at the top of his class for physical fitness.

Then everything changed.

Assigned to the plain-clothes division even before his probationary year was complete, he injured his knee again chasing a suspect. Unable to walk, he was taken to the hospital and treated with painkillers OxyContin and Percocet.

“I never really recovered from that,” Dwyer said. “I wish I could explain what happened. But I got lost in it.”

Eleven years of sobriety were gone.

He tried to pull it together, but when he returned to duty withdrawal took hold. He bought painkillers illegally off the street. When pills were too expensive, he turned to heroin.

One day in 2001 he wound up buying from a dealer who was under surveillance. He was arrested and fired. He split with his fianc?, left the house they shared, and started staying in his car.

After burning through his money he found himself under the Charlestown Bridge.

“There was a time I thought I’d lost him. A couple of times,” his father, William Dwyer recalled. “When he needed money or got in a jam I’d support him. But I didn’t know where he was.”

Once, William found out Danny was at a shelter and brought him things. But interactions like those were few.

Dwyer went through numerous detoxes, but “the shame and guilt, it was horrible,” he said. Sometimes he was lined up for further treatment. Other times he simply left.

A stint at a halfway house finally stuck, and he got sober, becoming a drug and alcohol counselor. After a few more relapses, his first son, Danny Jr. was born in 2006. His second son, Luke was born two years later.

“The one thing I knew is that I needed to try to give these kids the best shot at not going down a path that I went down,” Dwyer said.

Around that time Dwyer began to take up yoga, and he was soon offered a job managing 13 studios.

Then, 10 months ago he first got serious about running.

He was dealing with a shoulder issue. But he knew surgery would mean doctors prescribing narcotics, so he initially used yoga as a less-evasive solution.

But the shoulder issue persisted.

He had surgery, and was supposed to be in a sling six weeks. He took it off after just three days and flushed his medication down the toilet.

Within five days he was running, staples and all still in his shoulder.

He started running 5k races, then a half-marathon. Through his volunteering connections at recovery programs, he found a Boston Marathon bib from a homeless shelter, Lazarus House, and accepted its $10,000 fundraising commitment.

His father said helping is like therapy for him. “He’s getting a lot of help and he’s giving a lot of help,” William Dwyer said.

Danny has also started Frontline Yoga, aimed at more face-to-face interaction with the homeless community. One way it does that is by passing out yoga mats and holding free yoga sessions. Dwyer’s sons often come with him, bridging the gap between his past and present.

“It’ll be pieces of my life that when they’re older…they’ll have something to look at,” Dwyer said. “They’ll know that there is a way out and their dad made it out.”


Follow Kyle Hightower on Twitter at

Kind Hearted Woman Delays Her Flight To Help Out A Distressed Man With Autism

Kind Hearted Woman Delays Her Flight To Help Out A Distressed Man With Autism

Kind Hearted Woman Delays Her Flight To Help Out A Distressed Man With Autism

Shania Murray has a wonderful heart. She was at the Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport preparing to depart with American Airlines when she noticed a man on the floor clearly in distress. Not sure of what was happening as she noticed passersby just walking past the man, she decided to approach the scene and that’s when she noticed the man was not okay and decided to help.
Source: Shaina Murry / Facebook
After asking him a few questions she noticed that the man had a form of autism and she helped him on his feet and decided to contact the medical team for assistance. The man’s name was Will and he told her he did not feel too well and he was also worried that he might miss his flight and miss seeing his mother and family for Christmas. Shania’s helping spirit kicked in and she decided to call Will’s mother, told her what was going on she also ensured that Will would receive the needed medical care at the airport.
Shania talked to the American Airlines team and the medical team requesting if she could change her flight as she wanted to have lunch with will and later help him get to his flight. The American Airlines were touched to hear Shania’s reason for changing her flight and they decided to do it for free. Will on the other hand was able to get to his flight on time to meet her mother and sister for Christmas.
Source: Shaina Murry / Facebook
Shania’s kind heart saw the post she made on Facebook go viral. She was grateful that the medical team at the airport came and helped Will. She was also grateful for American Airlines’ understanding and she vowed to always board the airline. Most importantly, she was grateful to Will for making her day.

Comments comments

Like it? Share with your friends!

Kind Hearted Woman Delays Her Flight To Help Out A Distressed Man With Autism

Kentucky coal museum switching to solar power

Kentucky coal museum switching to solar power

(CNN) You wouldn’t expect a museum dedicated to the coal industry to run on anything other than coal — but a mining museum in Kentucky is soon to be solar powered.

Communications director Brandon Robinson told CNN affiliate WYMT that the project “will help save at least eight to ten thousand dollars, off the energy costs on this building alone.”

Robinson also said that the project was funded through an outside foundation, WYMT reported. The project includes 20 solar panels installed by Bluegrass Solar

The owner of Bluegrass, Tre Sexton, believes the system will pay for itself. “I think everybody knows when we’re talking about attractions like this — these high-volume, low-traffic municipal attractions — something has got to give, to keep their expenses down.”

Sexton told WYMT that an average house could be run by 20 panels that would cost around $17,000 or $20,000 — but the system would pay itself off within five to seven years.

“It is a little ironic,” Robinson said to WYMT, “But you know, coal and solar and all the different energy sources work hand-in-hand. And, of course, coal is still king around here.”

Woman accused of choking girl for blocking Disney fireworks view

Woman accused of choking girl for blocking Disney fireworks view

LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. — A Walt Disney World patron is accused of choking a girl who was blocking her view at the Magic Kingdom fireworks show Wednesday night, according to the Orange County Sheriff’s Office.

The victim, who was visiting the theme park with a group of students and chaperones from her out-of-state high school, was with friends around 9:30 p.m., waiting for the show to start, reports CBS Orlando affiliate WKMG-TV. A family was sitting behind them.

When the show began, the girl and her friends stood up so they could get a better view. The family sitting behind them said to sit down so they could see, according to an arrest report.

Tabbatha Mature, 41, was aggravated about not being able to see the display, so the girl and her friends decided to leave. As they were walking away, the victim told Mature, “You can take our spot.”

Deputies said Mature grabbed the girl by her neck, squeezed and pushed her head toward the ground. Mature let go of the girl when she started screaming and told her, “You don’t want to mess with me,” according to an arrest affidavit.

The victim’s friends got the girl away and found a Walt Disney World employee to report the incident.

The girl did not have visible injuries. She told deputies she was willing to press charges.

NHL Player Accidentally Spills Fan’s Beer, Gives Fan Autographed stick Saying, “Sorry! I Owe U One.”

NHL Player Accidentally Spills Fan’s Beer, Gives Fan Autographed stick Saying, “Sorry! I Owe U One.”

Sometimes paying for a premium seat is worth the price.

A Citizen reader, who was at the game Tuesday night between the Ottawa Senators and Detroit Red Wings, had a close encounter with Henrik Zetterberg during warm-ups.

Ryan sent in the following message:

“My buddy Mike and I were down against the glass for the warms ups last night in the Red Wings end… he had his beer sitting on the up against the glass as we were taking pics. When Hank was done stretching, he got up and banged into the boards a couple times.”

“In doing so, Mike’s pint went smashing to the floor. We knocked on the glass to show him what happened as I got a kick out of it. Zetterberg started laughing! A few minutes later, he went over to the bench, grabbed one of his brand new game sticks and autographed it saying: “Sorry! I owe u one! (with his signature.) He skated over and tossed it over the glass to us! How classy is that guy!!! Amazing!”

3 Year Old Invites Police Officer on a Playdate

3 Year Old Invites Police Officer on a Playdate

A three-year-old girl in Massachusetts made fast friends with a police officer after she saw him eating alone during his break and decided to join him and strike up a conversation.

Sgt. Steve Dearth of the Hingham Police Department said he had taken a dinner break at a Panera Bread on March 4 when he noticed Lillian, 3, with her father.

Dearth said he was waiting to order his food when he noticed Lillian with her dad. They smiled and waved at each other and that’s when Lillian’s dad brought her over to meet Dearth.

“He said she wanted to be a police officer,” Dearth said in a telephone interview with Global News. “I gave her a junior police officer sticker.”

After parting ways, Dearth sat alone in a corner to enjoy his meal but Lillian walked over with her dad once again to see him.

Lillian even talked to him about school, movies and what some of her favourite things are.

“She never once looked back at her family,” said Dearth about Lillian’s parents and younger brother who were sitting a few tables away.

Lillian even asked Dearth if they could have a play date – but in a few days.

“She said the cutest thing,” said Dearth. “I don’t know what the few days were for but she had to wait a few days.”

After their conversation, Dearth brought Lillian back to her parents and then pulled up his police cruiser to the restaurant so Lillian, along with her father, could take a look.

A few weeks later, Lillian and her mom went to the Hingham police station for her play date.

Dearth gave Lillian and her mom a tour, introduced her to other officers and even showed her a few police motorcycles.

“She’s very sociable and very outgoing. I’ve been here for 24 years and never seen a child that friendly,” Dearth said of Lillian.

“Our job can be negative… they don’t call us to say they got the winning goal today or an A on a report card. They call us when they need help, which is our job and that’s what we signed up for. But when you have moments like this, it recharges your batteries; it can outweigh years of negativity.

“It was the best break I’ve ever had,” said Dearth.

SoCal high school baseball player Ruben Marin was shot in the leg while walking home from a party. He thought he would never play ball again, but thanks to perseverance, hard work and a prosthetic leg, he is back on the field. ⚾️

SoCal high school baseball player Ruben Marin was shot in the leg while walking home from a party. He thought he would never play ball again, but thanks to perseverance, hard work and a prosthetic leg, he is back on the field. ⚾️

A Narbonne High School baseball player thought he would never play again after losing his leg from a gunshot wound, but thanks to perseverance, hard work and a prosthetic leg, he is back on the field.Senior Ruben Marin was shot in the leg while walking home from a graduation party.”I tried to get up, that’s when I felt the pain,” Ruben recalled. “When I tried to get up, my whole leg just collapsed.”As he recovered in the hospital, Ruben was convinced his baseball days were over until Paralympian Rudy Garcia Tolson dropped by.”He was walking with both legs amputated, with five gold medals on his neck, and I was like, ‘Dang, that’s pretty dope,'” Ruben said. “Right then and there I told myself I’m going to play baseball again.”Just a year and half later he proved himself right.”This is a message to people that are down there, ‘Pick yourself up whenever you have the motivation,'” Ruben said. “Nothing’s going to stop us. Nothing.”Narbonne high school varsity coach Bill Dillon said since the shooting Ruben’s grades were up as was his dedication.”He’s turned this into a life changer for himself in a great way,” Dillon shared.The coach said Ruben was no charity case as he is a starting pitcher.”That’s all about just his character, his heart,” Dillon said. “He’s making contributions to this team, he has his first varsity win for the season. It says a lot about him.”Baseball is a dream Ruben hopes to continue on a college level.”This feels amazing, just to be able to be alive and just playing baseball,” Ruben said. “This is something I love and I never take for granted.”